How Can SERVPRO Assist When a Local Cafe Experiences a Kitchen Fire?
Fires are devastating to any business. SERVPRO can remove the smoke odors and restore the damage.
Our Technicians are Quick to the Scene and Can Provide Emergency Mitigation to Restore Your Los Angeles Cafe
In Los Angeles, local cafes do a thriving business serving early morning business commuters, the afternoon lunch group, and coffee lovers. When a fire flashes in the kitchen of one of these local dining favorites, it can significantly impact the business. Not only does the café experience downtown and a loss of revenue, but it may lose customers as well. SERVPRO provides rapid-fire mitigation to get the restaurant open and serving customers.
What is the Purpose of a Fire Restoration Business?
According to FEMA, cooking fires account for approximately 30.6% of non-residential fires. Over nine years, through 2018, the leading cause of non-commercial fires was cooking. SERVPRO assists business owners in getting their business and their revenue back on track. That’s why we provide professional fire restoration to Los Angeles businesses. Our purpose is to mitigate fire damage through clean up, repair, and restoration, including:
- Scoping the scene to prepare a work plan
- Removing debris and charred materials
- Residual water, soot, and odor mitigation
The objective is to return the business to its preloss condition, if possible, and clean every area of your café. The proprietor works with our fire and smoke restoration technicians (FSRT) to decide the right course of action for rebuilding the eatery.
Fast Response Time is Vital
One of the main things SERVPRO teams focus on whenever there is a fire is smoke odor. Water extraction is another area that requires immediate mitigation. The water and chemicals used by firefighters need to be removed, and the business dried. If left untreated secondary damage like mold can occur. The key to proper cleanup and restoration is a prompt intervention. Our technicians not only provide the fire damage restoration required for your situation, but they do it as quickly as possible. When dealing with commercial properties, our crews handle:
Residual Water – When moisture is not immediately extracted, mold can develop. Mold colonies can begin to develop in as little as 24 hours. Smoke odors are foul enough, but it can be difficult to remove when combined with the musty smell of mold. Mold can also cause health effects.
Smoke Odors – The pungent smell of smoke can quickly permeate throughout the fire damaged Los Angeles café. The debris from the soot, fire, and firefighting chemicals contribute to the odors and affect not only the air but walls, fixtures, and furniture. The first step in lessening the smell is the removal of soot and debris. Further deodorization takes place later.
Soot Removal– A thick layer of soot is often seen in commercial fires. It can be damaging on its own, but it is even more harmful when combined with the moisture from fire hoses. Rapid soot removal is paramount to prevent surface areas from being further damaged.
What Restoration Steps Does SERVPRO Implement?
Our Green Team gets busy mitigating soot damage, water damage, and smoke odors right away, understanding the need to work quickly. Several steps need to be implemented before the restoration begins.
Water extraction and chemical clean up and the removal of charred and damaged debris get handled right away. Wet areas get dried with industrial air moved and dehumidifiers. Our technicians determine the type of soot involved and the makeup of surface areas impacted. They then implement the correct cleaning techniques and products. Soot removal is handled using soda blasting, agitative methods, industrial vacuums, and other techniques as needed. All areas are cleaned and disinfected. The content of the café may be removed to a warehouse or non-affected space for cleaning.
Once the above has taken place, restoration can begin. Our goal is always to restore rather than replace whenever possible. A restaurant fire can have unique challenges. And certain things are not salvageable. When dealing with eateries, the situation may include:
- Soot settling on food items. Fresh food is never salvageable.
- Food exposed to firefighting chemicals (or powder from the fire suppression system in the kitchen) is contaminated.
- Food items in a freezer or refrigeration area may be salvageable if the appliance itself was unaffected and the seal is intact.
- Perishable items in cans and boxes should be discarded. Canned goods exposed to high heat are not safe.
- Plasticware that has been in the heat may not be salvageable.
- Porous items such as linens and draperies may be cleanable if not directly impacted by the fire.
- Glass and metal ware not directly damaged can often be cleaned.
Structural elements and the content of the café are repaired, restored, or replaced during the restoration phase. Fixtures, booths, and tables not directly impacted by the fire, or having minimal damage, can often be restored to preloss condition. Our technicians know what to salvage and what to throw away and help business owners make wise decisions.
Our goal is to get you serving coffee, lunches, and fresh-baked muffins to your customers. To ensure that happens, contact SERVPRO of Marina Del Rey / Westchester / El Segundo at (310) 333-0654 for commercial fire restoration service. Contractor Licenses: CSLB: 837225.
What Should Homeowners Do When Their Home Floods?
Don’t let water ruin your family treasures. Call SERVPRO!
A Professional Service Can Address Most Aspects of Restoring a Los Angeles Home After a Flood
In a flood zone in Los Angeles, homeowners may be watching the devastation from afar while staying in a safe place. Alternatively, floodwaters may enter the home with no warning, leaving no time to prepare. Regardless of how floodwaters make it into a residence, the result is disruptive. Experts need to coordinate and articulate the necessary steps following the entry of water into the home.
In Los Angeles, flood damage and its consequences can be left to our SERVPRO team to handle. Our water restoration technicians are ready to receive your call 24/7, and we jump into action as soon as it is safe to do so. Before you jump to conclusions and mourn the loss of family pictures and important documents, let our team take a look at the damage and develop a plan focusing on mitigating your loss and preserving what is near and dear to your heart.
Should homeowners discard all personal items after a flood?
Flood waters carry bacteria and debris, so many items won’t remain in your home once our SERVPRO crew arrives. However, our technicians have at their disposal some options to restore items such as photographs, which may prove invaluable when you consider the damage in front of you. As we arrive with industrial-grade extractors and cleaners to remove excess water and remnants from your home, we can already start sorting those items we may want to preserve by using specialized techniques such as the ones below-
- Freeze-drying to preserve paper products through the principle of sublimation
- Drying chambers to remove moisture from electronics
- Ultrasonic technology to loosen the dirt by using sound waves
When you call our team of SERVPRO of Marina del Rey/ Westchester/ El Segundo at (310) 333-0654, you gain access to expertise and the latest technology in the industry. Let us be your trusted advocate through the restoration process and let us work hard to leave your home, “Like it never even happened.”
What Kind of Cleaning Techniques Can Homeowners Expect to See During Professional Fire Restoration?
Did a fire damage your home? Call SERVPRO for fast, effective fire damage restoration.
Trust in the Training and Experience the SERVPRO Team Brings to Residential Fire Damage Restoration in Los Angeles -- We Evaluate Carefully and Use Only Proven Proprietary Products and Industry Best Practices for Premier Results
Uninitiated homeowners first viewing the smoke, soot, and other soiling covering contents and surfaces in a Los Angeles house find their jaws dropping. Very few disasters cause the same level of fear and distress as a home fire, and contemplating the work needed to clean up the mess adds to the anxiety felt. Add the probability of exposure to toxic substances during restoration, and it becomes evident that a professional response is needed.
How Are Fire Residues Different from Everyday Dirt and Grime?
When you let your housework slide a bit, a sponge, mop, and bucketful of sudsy water might be all that you need to take care of the clutter and grimy buildup found in your home. Fire damage restoration in Los Angeles is different, with the soiling not merely a mix of tracked-in mud and accumulated dust. Instead, the residues coating walls, ceilings, counters, and floors are the incompletely combusted remnants of the fire's fuel. The coating on surfaces varies as the available combustible materials change room to room -- wood, paper, plastic, rubber, textiles, food, and grease. The residues float on the air, they "color" the smoke, and eventually, tiny bits settle as soot. Depending on the surface and the soot's characteristics, breaking the bond might be as easy as turning on the vacuum or as involved as applying solvents and "blasting" the residues off the surface with abrasives.
What Are Common Types of Soot Found After Household Fires?
SERVPRO managers and technicians use the training obtained during the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) courses to identify the residues soiling surfaces. In general, the soot falls into the following categories:
- Dry Soot - This type of soot presents when the fire burns hot and fast, usually consuming wood and paper as fuel. The residue is light and ashy, and rarely, or only lightly adhering to surfaces.
- Wet Soot - These residues result when plastics and rubber, common materials around any household, burn or smolder. Damp fabrics and padding burns slowly, also resulting in this type of soot. The residue is thick and sticky.
- Protein-Based Soot - When exposed to high heat and flames, food and grease create a thin and transparent residue which travels on air currents and inside HVAC systems to settle far from the kitchen. The remnants are highly malodorous and adhere tightly to surfaces, although the coating is not evident to the eye. Rather than soot per se, the residue is the dehydrated remains of superheated food and oils.
How Do Professionals Approach Soot Residue Removal?
Once the SERVPRO crew members identify the type of soot residue, we evaluate the surfaces affected for durability. This consideration ensures the solution used for cleaning away the residue does not ruin the wall, counter, hood, appliance, woodwork, or other affected material. Then we use our IICRC foundation in cleaning to capture and remove the residues and dispose of them properly.
The success of SERVPRO's interventions relies on scientifically derived best fire damage cleaning practices, determined by certified technicians matching cleaners and methods to the soots and surfaces. Adapting the following four fundamental elements result in suspended residues ready for removal:
- Temperature - Heat speeds chemical reactions in cleaning products. Temperature adjustment depends on the product used and the heat durability of the residue-coated surface.
- Agitation - Restorers use agitation to spread cleaning solutions over surfaces and to dislodge bonded residues. Examples of agitation tools include:
- Clean terry cloth towels
- Feather dusters and brushes of all kinds
- Positive and negative air and water pressure
- Sonic vibrations in ultrasonic machines
- Chemical Action - SERVPRO's proprietary cleaning products create chemical reactions between residues and surfaces. Restorers select products depending on the action desired:
- Dissolving (water-based residues dissolve with water-based cleaners / oil-based residues dissolve with oil-based cleaners)
- Emulsifying (suspending residues that might be a combination of water and oil-based -- some soaps and detergents work for this action)
- Changing pH
- Time - Permitting the chosen product to "dwell" or remain in contact with the residue for variable periods allows the product to break the bond between the soot and the surface.
Fire restoration products, equipment, and techniques deliver research-based results when in the hands of the talented and trained crews of SERVPRO of Marina Del Rey / Westchester / El Segundo. We're Faster To Any Size Disaster -- call us around the clock at (310) 333-0654 to promptly start the restoration process.
Why Call in Skilled Help to Clean Up Property Flooding?
Storms happen. SERVPRO can restore any damage to your home.
Your Marina Del Rey Property Deserves Fast Action to Remedy any Flood Damage – SERVPRO Can Help!
Once floodwater overtakes your Marina Del Rey home, the last thing you should do is wait too long before beginning cleanup efforts. Whether you had a burst pipe, or a significant storm rolled through, you need reliable restoration technicians on-site to handle the water treatment, followed by extraction and drying. SERVPRO features highly skilled and IICRC-certified technicians ready to take care of your cleanup and drying needs.
When you have flood damage in Marina Del Rey, you cannot wait. The longer you take beginning cleanup, the higher chance of secondary damage becoming both devastating and costly. During a flooding event, water begins to seep through all cracks to saturate your:
- Carpets and carpet padding
Why Call SERVPRO for Cleanup Efforts?
We have all the appropriate certifications to take on any level of restoration job. You can trust in us for:
- Prompt, reliable service: We arrive within a few hours of your initial call to assess the flooding and start on treatment and extraction.
- Safety and health: Contaminants and microorganisms run rampant within floodwater, so it calls for precision and care during cleanup. We work carefully to limit the spread of contaminants and protect your Marina Del Rey interior's unaffected areas.
- Limit the loss: Beyond the initial damage and floodwater saturation, prompt action cuts back on secondary damage festering in your home. We work to repair rather than replace, helping to cut back on out of pocket costs.
- Insurance claim assistance: You already have a lot to deal with during this uncertain time, but SERVPRO also helps with your insurance claim's paperwork, including a detailed inventory of all loss as well as the processes involved in the restoration project.
When you call (310) 395-9050 to talk with us at SERVPRO of Santa Monica/Venice Beach, you can have a crew ready to start flood damage cleanup in as little as four hours.
Mold can cause your customers to go elsewhere. SERVPRO is available to inspect your business for signs of visible and invisible mold.
Water damage in your home? We’ve got you covered! SERVPRO can make it, “Like it never even happened.”
Research Proves that Aggressive Extraction Significantly Shortens Drying Time in Flood Damaged Marina Del Rey Properties -- Why SERVPRO Follows Best Practices for Successful Results
When flooding from storms or significant plumbing or appliance breakdowns spread through your Marina Del Rey condo, you need professional help fast. When help does arrive, you might be perplexed about the priority given to water extraction, especially if much of the fluid seems to have drained away. Water can migrate to spaces away from the original loss and failing to address the collection of liquid water in building cavities can cause progressive secondary damage.
Why Is the Extraction of Liquid Water Such a High Priority During Flood Damage Recovery?
When approaching flood damage in Marina Del Rey, two primary reasons underlie the necessity of removing as much liquid water as possible.
- First,the water can be contaminated, requiring containment and lawful disposal as hazardous waste. Allowing it to soak into building materials and drain into hidden recesses allows chemicals, pathogens, and infectious wastes to remain in your home, exposing your property and family to substances and organisms that can destroy structure and contents and cause illness.
- Second,attempting to dry out your condo without first removing the bulk of the liquid flood water adds days or weeks to the process, which is problematic as the water continues to destroy materials and provides an incubator for mold growth and damage. Aggressive extraction is 1200 times more effective than using airflow and dehumidifiers alone.
How Can Professionals Follow and Remove Flood Water from Recesses and Other Areas Where It Is Trapped?
The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) training completed by our managers and technicians prepare our crew to use sensitive tools to locate and measure hidden water. Our team might use controlled demolition to reach the water, why SERVPRO stocks drills and saws to make holes and remove wet materials. When we release the trapped fluids using planned demolition, we also enhance the efficiency of applied drying techniques to reach damp spaces deep within walls, over ceilings, or under floors.
Decades of research and proven results underlie the restoration industry's best practices, why SERVPRO of Marina Del Rey / Westchester / El Segundo adheres to standards developed by the IICRC. Call us to schedule a flood damage assessment as soon as possible at (310) 333-0654 for the best results.
More about Marina del Rey.
Can Containment Strategies Keep Your Flooded Restaurant Open?
Don’t let flood damage close your business. Call SERVPRO!
Flooding Affects Los Angeles Businesses Quickly, but With the Right Preventative Steps and Containment Tactics, it is not Impossible to Keep Serving
Containment is often a vital element to flood recovery inLos Angeles homes and businesses. Especially with your restaurant, reducing exposure to your customers can prevent a full shutdown of the establishment. By constructing physical barriers with wood framing and thick poly-sheeting we keep stocked on READY trailers for water and flood losses, we can prevent unwanted foot traffic into the drying areas and reduce floodwater spreading through communal areas.
Running a restaurant can make flood damage to Los Angeles businesses like yours even more troublesome. There are many considerations when determining the likelihood of keeping your business up and running through flood restoration. Among the chief of these is ensuring your staff and your customers' safety and understanding when it is the best choice to temporarily close to manage the flooding more efficiently. Containment only works to keep your doors open with:
- No contaminants present
- Undamaged food preparation areas
- Small affected areas
What Happens if Your Restaurant Must Close Temporarily?
There are always circumstances where flood damage becomes too widespread for even effective containment strategies to protect. As damaging as it might be to close your doors temporarily, you put your property in the hands of efficient restoration professionals like our SERVPRO team to help. We have effective recovery strategies, including extraction, cleaning, controlled demolition, and in-house contractors to make flood losses "Like it never even happened," for your firm.
No one sees your business as you do, so you have a role to play in determining when it is best to temporarily close your doors to protect your staff, customers, and structure. Our SERVPRO of Marina Del Rey / Westchester / El Segundo professionals can help with adequate property evaluation and efficient water removal strategies, drying, and cleaning. Contact us today at (310) 333-0654.
More about Los Angeles.
How Can SERVPRO Save Me Time and Money on Fire Damage Repairs?
Fire damage is expensive. Don’t burn money trying to restore your home yourself. Call SERVPRO!
Your Local Marina Del Rey SERVPRO Endeavors to Save You Time and Money by Always Trying to Restore Damaged Property, Instead of Simply Replacing Everything
Many locals dream of one day owning a condo in Marina del Rey. It is, perhaps, the perfect place for boat owners in the greater Los Angeles area. The community's well-appointed marina offers excellent facilities for keeping a personal leisure vessel and provides ready access to Southern California's nearby Channel Islands. With all that said, however, all this luxury and convenience also comes with some risks. The closeness of local residential units, coupled with the region's powerful hot, dry Santa Ana winds, makes them especially prone to rapidly spreading fires. Luckily, though, your local SERVPRO is dedicated to returning impacted homes to their pre-fire condition in a time-saving and cost-effective manner.
What Time and Cost Saving Practices Does SERVPRO Employ?
Our Marina del Rey fire damage restoration service does various things to save you time and lower your overall expenses. These range from relatively simple practices to more advanced measures and include:
- Quickly performing emergency mitigation work to limit further fire damage
- Effectively inspecting and pre-testing surfaces for cleanability before any work is commenced, so that time and money are not wasted trying to restore things that are beyond any restoration efforts
- Avoiding replacing anything that can be successfully repaired
- Only performing necessary work that is approved by you and your insurance adjuster
- Offering additional specialty services that can save expensive artwork and electronics
Operating in this fashion, we help you avoid costly repairs and replacements through advanced planning and our specialized expertise.
What Are SERVPRO's Primary Restoration Services?
As previously noted, SERVPRO always tries to save and restore impacted materials instead of merely replacing them. When our technicians perform their restoration work, they focus on doing four primary things, including:
- Cleaning structural elements like floors, baseboards, walls, and attic rafters
- Eliminating soot residues from ventilation systems to prevent them from further spreading around your home
- Removing fire-related wastes from household contents
- Deodorizing your home and its contents
All these efforts help preserve your residence's original structural elements and your most cherished belongings. Also, they serve to restore your home in record time and cost-effectively.
How Do You Eliminate Persistent Foul, Fire-Related Odors?
One of the most critical issues related to preserving and restoring Marina del Rey fire-damaged structural elements and household contents is eliminating their unpleasant odors. SERVPRO technicians eliminate, mask, or otherwise neutralize persistent odors through a variety of methods like:
- Forcing smoky air out of fire-damaged residences with high-velocity box fans
- Pulling impacted air from home interiors with powerful air movers
- Cleaning dirty air, filled with odorous particles, with state-of-the-art air scrubbers
- Using HVAC cleaning systems to rid ventilation networks of smelly residues that could be spread throughout a home
- Neutralizing odors with ozone generators and the aerosolized natural oils of Vaportek systems
- Deodorizing affected carpeting and upholstered furnishings with professional-grade injection devices
- Employing ultra-low volume foggers to neutralize odors in impacted materials with atomized deodorants and thermal foggers to counteract airborne odors in confined spaces with a deodorizing mist
After completing all these measures, fire-related smells are often eliminated. Better yet, homeowners are usually unable even to detect that a fire ever occurred in their residence.
Are There Any Additional Services SERVPRO Offers to Save or Restore, Instead of Replace, Homeowners' Furnishings and Other Possessions?
Our experts always try to save and restore whatever items they are authorized. We offer services to keep track of and protect all your possessions, as well as ones to restore even your most expensive or irreplaceable items. Company workers can create a categorized inventory of all your home's contents, labeling contents according to their salvageability. They can move-out and store your sensitive items in a warehouse while your condo is being restored. After a fire and before work is commenced, we can also board-up the doors, windows, and other openings of your residence to prevent further damage from the elements and vandals. If your valuable electronics or irreplaceable artworks are impacted by fire, our technicians can either subcontract the restoration work to specialists or, if permitted, they can perform the work themselves.
Residential fires are a traumatic experience for those that suffer them. They are generally unpredictable and can occur when you least expect them. No matter what you do to avoid these nightmarish situations, you can never eliminate one's risk. Also, even the most prepared homeowners are often caught off guard by a sudden home blaze. With all that said, though, rest assured that there are friendly neighborhood restoration services that can help you recover from a fire.
So, if a fire ever impacts your home, call a local service dedicated to helping you overcome it. Call SERVPRO of Marina Del Rey/Westchester/El Segundo at (310) 333-0654 for assistance.
Identifying Mold Damage on Drywall in Marina Del Rey Homes
If left unchecked, mold colonies can grow exponentially. SERVPRO knows how to remediate the mold safely and effectively in your home.
Mold Growth is not Always Apparent, but There are Some Methods of Identifying and Later Resolving Mold Colonization for Your House
Understanding how to spot and track the progression of mold colonization in your Marina Del Rey home is critical to resolving the situation as promptly as possible. This organism's presence can be threatening to humans and pets exposed, making it vital to employ professional mold remediation experts like our SERVPRO team. Mold is not always as apparent as you might think, however. Learning to note differences in your house can be the initial sign that you should get the environment tested.
There is no set way that mold damage in Marina Del Rey becomes a recognizable threat. Because so much of the year occurs in hot, humid conditions in the Greater Los Angeles area, identifying the appropriate conditions to facilitate mold growth can help you spot these colonies in their earliest stages. Drywall can often present the most precise pictures of potential mold growth. You can look to this porous, organic wall material to show one or more of these signs when mold could be present:
- Harsh Odors
- Surface Spotting
- Moist Areas
- Surface Water Staining
- Humid Conditions
How Can SERVPRO Help to Remove Active Colonization?
Remediation is a carefully orchestrated restoration process that seeks to remove active colonies exclusively. While abrasive cleaning and soda blasting can often have a productive result in removing colonies without damaging the underlying hosting material, sanding can also be a practical approach for wood framing. In the most extreme cases, we have in-house contractors that can remove deteriorating drywall and reinstall it once drying and cleanup complete.
The presence of mold can be a hazardous situation for your home. Give our SERVPRO of Marina Del Rey / Westchester / El Segundo team a call when you suspect mold growth. We are available 24/7 at (310) 333-0654.
More about Marina Del Rey.
How Much Damage Can a Pipe Leak Do Behind My Walls?
Even a pinhole leak can cause water damage. Inspect your property often for signs of moisture, and call SERVPRO to remediate the damage.
Los Angeles Homeowners in Need of Water Damage Repair Can Count on SERVPRO
Water damage is an incredibly common occurrence in residential properties in Los Angeles and elsewhere. According to the Insurance Information Institute, an approximate one in 50 homeowners will file a property damage claim caused by a water loss event each year.
When you need water damage repair services for your Los Angeles home, SERVPRO is available to begin the cleanup process 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Restoration technicians are licensed and trained in mitigation strategies that prevent further damage and return your property to a preloss state.
How Costly Can an Interior Pipe Leak Become?
- Even a pinhole leak in a pipe can leak gallons of water every day into your home. If you found a recent and noticeable increase in your water bill, it may be time to inspect your property for water damage signs.
- Mold growth can start within 24 to 48 hours after water damage begins, creating unpleasant musty odors and affecting indoor air quality.
- Pipe leaks, especially those affecting outdoor plumbing, can bring dirt and contaminants into your home that may require professional-grade sanitation to ensure occupant safety.
SERVPRO technicians use sophisticated moisture measurement technologies to assess water damage in the home's hard-to-reach areas, including behind walls, before starting on extraction and structural drying.
How Does SERVPRO Detect Water Damage Behind Walls?
SERVPRO's detection technologies include infrared imaging for assessing potential moisture behind walls, sensors and meters calibrated to measure moisture in structural materials like wood and drywall, and thermohygrometers to determine relative humidity and calculate specific humidity.
SERVPRO of Marina Del Rey / Westchester / El Segundo renders mitigation and restoration services that keep your home looking, "Like it never even happened." You can call (310) 333-0654 for rapid-response disaster cleanup.
More about Los Angeles.
What Is Spot and Stain Removal After Flood Damage?
Flooding damages upholstery and carpet fibers and leaves stains. SERVPRO techs are trained in flood restoration. Call us today!
SERVPRO Helps Los Angeles Homeowners Restore Delicate Materials After Flood Damage
Everyone living in the Los Angeles area has at least one carpet or a rather delicate furniture item. Maybe you have a fancy rug or a chair with delicate upholstery, or perhaps your favorite drapes are made of a material that stains easily.
After flood damage in Los Angeles, the initial cleanup focuses on healing the significant problems such as waterlogged rooms or soaked drywall. However, there are other, smaller but no fewer essential concerns, too. For example, if contaminated floodwater has left your prized Persian rug damaged or left a stain on the sofa you inherited from your aunt, you will want to get that resolved as soon as possible. Luckily, SERVPRO of Marina Del Ray / Westchester / El Segundo is here to help.
How does spot and stain removal differ from regular cleaning?
Spot and stain removal are a more specialized techniques than general cleaning. Spot and stain removal always occur before cleaning the rest of the surface because spot cleaning can cause some discoloration or changes to the affected area. Cleaning the entire item after spot cleansing reduces any changed areas' appearance and helps the spot or stain disappear.
Which parts of my home might need spot and stain removal?
The most common areas that need help with water damage stain removal are:
- Upholstery on chairs and sofas
- Carpets and rugs
- Antique furniture such as a chaise or a day bed
- Drapes and especially drapes made of delicate material like silk or velvet
Are there differences between spots and stains?
You might not know that there is a difference between a spot and a stain. Let us look and see what makes them different from one another.
Adding something to the fiber such as wax, sugar, food spills, or gum, produces a spot. A stain means the grain has been discolored, such as with spilled wine or Kool-Aid or coffee. When color leaches out of the fibers, materials become tarnished. For example, a bleach spill can discolor fibers.
SERVPRO trains our technicians to recognize the different kinds of spot and stain and formulate an appropriate treatment plan for flood damaged Los Angeles properties.
Are there different kinds of soil?
Several different kinds of soil can dirty fabrics. Types of soil include:
- Water-soluble soils such as sugars and starches which are removable with a water spotting product
- Oil-soluble soils such as greases and tars which can are removable with an oil-based spotting product
- Protein-based soils such as egg or milk break down with an enzyme-based product
- Color-adding soils such as toner or tannins require dry brushing followed using an appropriate spotting product
- Discoloring soils with products like bleach are ineffective with existing damage
- Insoluble soils such as sand or skin cells are best removed by vacuuming and sometimes by suspension and extraction
What is the SERVPRO spot and stain removal process?
SERVPRO trains our technicians to follow an effective spot and stain removal process. The first step is to extract excess soil if possible. Most stains can be dealt with more effectively if they are dealt with immediately. It is best to do this first step when fibers are dry – your SERVPRO team will point out the best course of action, depending on the extent of the flood damage and whether the material is wet.
The next step is to assess the soil type. As we have discussed, there are six main soil types, and ascertaining, which kind we are dealing with is essential. Before cleaning commences, we must determine the type of fiber. Different materials respond differently to cleaning methods, so it is essential to know what kind of fabric we are cleaning. We use burn tests, chemical tests, and specific gravity tests to figure out your drapes or upholstery fiber composition.
After our initial assessment, we will liaise with you to ensure you understand which cleaning method is best for your water damaged possessions and what the results are likely to be. Once we have the groundwork established, we choose from the full range of solvents and spot cleaning products at our disposal and beginning the spot cleaning process.
When spot and stain cleaning is complete, our teams rinse and then thoroughly dry the material. Our aim is always to leave your furnishings as clean and fresh as possible - "Like it never even happened." Restoring delicate or antique materials after a flood is a tricky process. Do not tackle spot and stain removal yourself. Call SERVPRO of Marina Del Rey / Westchester / El Segundo at (310) 333-0654 for assistance.