Fire Prevention Tips For Your Marina Del Rey Home
Fire Prevention Tips
Keeping your home and family safe from fires involves focusing on preventing a fire in the first place. Almost 400,000 homes catch on fire each year, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Prevention involves the steps needed to ensure fires do not start in your home.
If you do experience a fire in your Marina Del Rey home, remember that you can lessen the damage done by the fire by getting in touch with a professional fire damage remediation company, like SERVPRO, as soon as you can after the fire is out. There are steps you can take in the meantime to help prevent a fire from ever happening. There are household danger areas to be more aware of including:
The leading cause of household fires, cooking needs to be practiced with care, especially when cooking on the stovetop. The accumulation of grease can be dangerous. Keep your oven and stove clean, and regularly check your vent goods, clean your filters and ensure if there is an exterior vent that nothing is impeding the airflow to the outdoors. If you own a gas stove, check that your system does not have any fittings that are loose, broken pilot lights, leaking valves, or flammable materials which are improperly stored in places nearby. Keep all flammables like curtains and dish towels a safe distance from the stove, and do not leave it unattended.
Heating is the second most common reason for home fires. Space heaters, furnaces, wood stoves and fireplaces all can present a risk for fire. Ensure your furnace gets a yearly inspection and cleaning. With space heaters, make sure they are three feet or more away from anything flammable. Turn them off before leaving the area or going to bed. Have wood or coal stoves and fireplaces inspected each year and do not store flammables nearby.
The third common cause of fires in the home, smoking is also the top cause of fire deaths at home. Use caution when smoking in your home. Do not put yourself in a position where you might fall asleep while you have a lit cigarette, and douse the butts with water before putting them in the trash. Even better, do not allow smoking in your home at all.
Matches, Candles, And Lighters
Do not leave candles unattended, or let children light them without supervision. Use stable candle holders constructed of materials that are non-flammable and extinguish candles if you are going to leave the room. Keep lighters and matches stored in a safe place where children cannot reach them. SERVPRO has plenty of experience in cleaning up after candle fires and making necessary repairs, so if this occurs to you, don’t hesitate to have their technicians help you get your home back.
Incorrectly installed wiring or overloading of circuits and extension cords also pose a fire risk. Check power cords on all your appliances and look for missing grounding prongs, frayed wires and damage to insulation. Replace or repair them before you use the appliance again.
SERVPRO of Marina Del Rey / Westchester / El Segundo is thoroughly trained to handle any house fire damage. They understand that time is of the essence in these matters, and that you have a lot on your plate after an event like this, so they do all they can to take the stress off you when you call them at (310) 333-0654.